Do you have a flying squirrel or other rodent pet? Names for flying squirrels and other rodents can be challenging to find because they are not your normal pet. However, adoring pet parents want the best name for their furry friend, no matter what type of pet they have. Below you’ll find names of cute and cool names for your unique pet.
10 Best Names for Flying Squirrels
These names are perfect and make perfect sense for your rodent friend. Flying squirrels don’t fly. Instead, they glide 150 feet or more from a height of 150 feet. Below are names that make you think about flying and soaring.
- Glider – A name that represents flying squirrels’ gliding abilities
- Maverick – A unique name for a brave pet
- Rocket – This is an excellent name for your furry friend
- Icarus– After the Greek Mythology character who flew too close to the sun
- Airy – A sweet name for a lightweight pet
- Sprout – Perfect for a small and cute flying squirrel
- Soar – For when they take off to fly
- Nimbus – After the mythical cloud of mist
- Zephyr– The Greek god of the wind
- Wings – Because they use their excess skin as wings to glide
Flying Squirrel Names
These are a combination of human names, objects, or anything that represents flying. Why human names for pets you’re wondering? Statistics show that most pet parents give their pets a human name, because they consider them a part of their family.
Albino Flying Squirrel Names
Albino squirrels are rare, but they do exist. One that comes to mind is the red and white giant flying squirrel living in Taiwan. It lives in altitudes of 2,600 – 11,500 feet in Taiwan and other countries.
Below are ten ideas for white things, float, or glide that will make the perfect name for your rodent.
- Jet Stream
- Lies (get it, white lies?)
Synonyms And Similar Words
Below is a list of synonyms that will help you brainstorm and come up with more ideas. These words mean the same as flying, which will help your creative juices flow to think outside the box.
Japanese Flying Squirrel Names
The Japanese flying squirrel (Pteromys momonga; Japanese: ニホンモモンガ, Hepburn: Nihon momonga ) is a species of flying squirrel found in the evergreen forests of Japan. Below are some names that represent flying.
- Hae – Fly
- Tsubame – Barn Swallow
- Kaze – Wind
- Hikouki – Airplane or aircraft
- Hayabusa – Peregrine Falcon
- Tako – Kite
- Wind – Kaze
- Jet – Jetto
Aviation Inspired Names
When you think about flying things, you likely think of airplanes. So these names are inspired by airplanes and aviation, making them perfect for your pet rodent.
Famous Pilot Names
These names are inspired by famous pilots, making them unique and perfect for your flying pet.
- Amelia Earhart
- Noel Wien
- Robert A. Hoover
- Charles Lindbergh
- Charles E. Yeager
- Scott Crossfield
- Erich Hartmann
- Francis Gary Powers
- Claire Lee Chennault
- Bessie Coleman
- Wally Funk
- Jacqueline Cochran
Names of Famous Aircraft
People remember famous aircraft just like they remember famous people, and these names are perfect for honoring that.
- Hawker Hurricane (Great Britain)
- U-2 – (United States Spy Plane)
- B-52 (United States Stratofortress)
- F-16 Fighting Falcon (United States)
- Mig – 21 or Mig (Soviet Union Fighter Jet)
- P-51 Mustang (United States)
- Black Hawk
- Apollo 11 (go with Apollo)
- A-10 Thunderbolt II (United States)
There are hundreds of aeronautical terms you can use as pet names. Below are some of the coolest ones we found.
- Mach – A measure of the speed of sound
- Lift – The force that makes an aircraft ascend
- Altitude – Distance from sea level to the object
- Vector – Direction and magnitude of a particular force
- Propulsion – The act of pushing an object forward
- Flaps – A type of control surface used to change the lift of an aircraft when in flight
- Chute – A parachute for slowing down aircraft or people in descent
- Fuel – Substance burned to propel aircraft through the air
- Vortex – Circular airflow created by the movement of an aircraft
- Ailerons – Control surfaces found on the wings that help control roll and yaw
- Winglets – Small wing-like structures at the end of the wings to reduce drag
- Trim Tab – An adjustable surface used to reduce drag and turbulence during the flight
- Rudder – A control surface at the rear of an aircraft used for direction control
- Stabilizer – Component that helps maintain a constant attitude in an aircraft
- Yaw – Controls yawing movements of the nose on some types of aircraft
Funny Flying Squirrel Names and Nicknames
These funny flying squirrel names will make you smile and are perfect to use as a nickname or regular name.
- Speedy Gonzales
- Jet Li
- Flash Gordon
- Plane Jane
- Air Jordan
- Fly Guy
Mythical Flying Creature Names
These names are inspired by mythical flying creatures, which can be an excellent idea for your flying pet.
- Swan Maiden
- Fairy Queen
Flying Squirrel Cartoon Character Names
These names come from cartoon characters with flying squirrels, making them a great pick for your pet. While not all the characters can fly, they will still make an excellent name for your exotic pet.
- Rocky (Bullwinkle)
- Gadget (Rescue Rangers)
- Rudy (The Nut Job 2)
- Alvin (Alvin and The Chipmunks)
Spanish Flying Squirrel Names
These are perfect for your ardilla; they work for a boy or a girl when you live south of the border.
|Globo Aerostático||Hot Air Balloon|
|Avión Militar||Military Plane|
Other Cool Rodent Names
Below are creative and unique names for other rodents like mice, rats, hamsters, gerbils, chipmunks, and more!
- Bandit – A perfect name for a mischievous rodent
- Digger – An excellent name for a burrowing rodent
- Gizmo – Ideal for a tech-savvy hamster or gerbil
- Nibbler – Perfect for a cute little mouse
- Racer – Great if your rodent loves to go fast
- Scamper – If your rodent loves to scurry around
- Sprinkles – An adorable name for any rodent
- Twitch – If your rodent is always on the move
- Wiggles – Perfect for an active and playful pet
- Zeus– An excellent name for a powerful rat or mouse!
No matter what type of flying squirrel you have, there is a perfect name out there for them. From funny and creative names to ones inspired by flying creatures, cartoon characters, or aviation, the sky’s the limit when naming your pet.
Take time to select the perfect name that suits your pet, and have fun with it!
Hopefully, you can use one of the ideas above for a nickname or a name.
If you don’t see anything on the list above, you can use it to brainstorm and come up with even more ideas.
- 201 Squirrel Names From Movies And Cartoons
- 165 Funny Names for Squirrels
- 155 Squirrel Names That Start With An S
- Will A Mouse Trap Kill A Flying Squirrel?
- How Long Do Flying Squirrels Live In Captivity?
- Southern Flying Squirrel